All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $12.99Trending at AU $19.24
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $73.23
- AU $26.40Trending at AU $33.52
- AU $12.82Trending at AU $13.77
- AU $36.81Trending at AU $38.00
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.46
- AU $20.18Trending at AU $24.41
About this product
- DescriptionThe Trouble with Higher Education is a powerful and topical critique of the Higher Education system in the UK, with relevance to countries with similar systems. Based on the authors' experiences that span over 30+ years of fieldwork, the issues discussed focus on the problems facing the principle responsibilities of universities: teaching, learning and research. The first half of the book identifies a number of problems that have followed the growth of mass education. It examines their causes and explains their damaging effects. The second half of the book offers a broad vision and makes a number of practical suggestions for ameliorating the problems and improving higher education. Supported by research, the suggestions include: ways of managing universities; proper inspection; better ways of organising students' learning; improving teaching and learning; better approaches to assessment, and the proper use of ideas such as learning outcomes. Topics discussed include: * Chronic under-funding, the replacement of student grants with loans and the introduction of tuition fees. * The growth of managerialism. * The emphasis on accountability and decline of trust. * The growth of a competitive, market ethos. * Modular degrees, kwledge treated as a commodity and students seen as customers. * The drift towards a two-tiered system, with teaching colleges and research universities. * Casualisation of the academic profession. The Trouble with Higher Education is aimed primarily at a professional audience of academics, educationalists, managers, administrators and policy makers, but would interest anyone concerned about higher education. It is suited to professional development courses, and Master's and doctoral level studies.
- Author BiographyTrevor Hussey is professor emeritus of philosophy at Buckinghamshire New University and is now a part-time tutor in the University of Oxford. Patrick Smith is Professor of Learning and Teaching at Buckinghamshire New University.
- Author(s)Patrick Smith,Trevor Hussey
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication04/12/2009
- SubjectAdult & Further Education
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note2 black & white line drawings
- Weight226 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.