All listings for this product
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $68.55Trending at AU $73.88
- AU $7.43Trending at AU $13.80
- AU $72.58Trending at AU $75.11
- AU $13.21Trending at AU $15.13
- AU $14.94Trending at AU $19.85
- AU $11.92Trending at AU $16.07
- AU $19.94Trending at AU $23.06
About this product
- DescriptionThe spellbinding story of a gifted woman who leaves the magic mountains of her native New Mexico for the chaotic New York of the 1870s. 'To read Seton is to enter into ather time with such conviction that it seems as real as the present' (Philippa Gregory) Santa Fe Cameron, named for the place of her birth, is the child of a Spanish mother and a Scotch father and inherited from both a high degree of psychic ability. A Native American medicine man senses this and gives the little orphan a turquoise amulet as a keepsake; this turquoise, the Navajo symbol of the spirit, dominates her life. For Fey, life is made up of violent contrasts: the rough wagon of the young Irishman who brings her East and the scented hansom cabs and carriages waiting before her own Fifth Avenue mansion; the glittering world of the Astor family and a dreary cell in The Tombs prison. All the rich period detail which characterises Anya Seton's vels is here, together with one of her most unusual heroines.
- Author BiographyAnya Seton was born in New York City and grew up on her father's large estate in Cos Cob and Greenwich, Connecticut, where visiting Indians taught her Indian dancing and woodcraft. One Sioux chief called her Anutika, which means 'cloud grey eyes', a name which the family shortened to Anya. She was educated by governesses, and then travelled abroad, first to England, then to France where she hoped to become a doctor. She studied for a while at the Hotel Dieu hospital in Paris before marrying at eighteen and having three children. She began writing in 1938 with a short story sold to a newspaper syndicate and the first of her novels was published in 1941. She died in 1990.
- Author(s)Anya Seton
- PublisherHodder & Stoughton General Division
- Date of Publication22/05/2014
- SubjectHistorical & Mythological Fiction
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintHodder & Stoughton Ltd
- Weight250 g
- Width129 mm
- Height196 mm
- Spine24 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.