All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.39Trending at AU $48.86
- AU $74.54Trending at AU $75.65
- AU $22.13Trending at AU $22.74
- AU $35.53Trending at AU $38.58
- AU $31.31Trending at AU $37.07
- AU $17.66Trending at AU $22.78
- AU $37.61Trending at AU $38.34
About this product
- DescriptionIn the late-nineteenth and early-twentieth centuries, municipallaws targeting unsightly beggars sprang up in cities across America. Seeming to criminalize disability and thus offering a visceral example of discrimination, these ugly laws have become a sort of shorthand for oppression in disability studies, law, and the arts. In this watershed study of the ugly laws, Susan M. Schweik uncovers the murky history behind the laws, situating the varied legislation in its historical context and exploring in detail what the laws meant. Illustrating how the laws join the history of the disabled and the poor, Schweik t only gives the reader a deeper understanding of the ugly laws and the cities where they were generated, she locates the laws at a crucial intersection of evolving and unstable concepts of race, nation, sex, class, and gender. Moreover, she explores the history of resistance to the ordinances, using the often harrowing life stories of those most affected by their passage. Moving to the laws' more recent history, Schweik analyzes the shifting cultural memory of the ugly laws, examining how they have been used-and misused-by academics, activists, artists, lawyers, and legislators.
- Author BiographySusan M. Schweik is Professor of English and co-director of the Disability Studies Program at the University of California, Berkeley. She is the author of A Gulf So Deeply Cut: American Women Poets and the Second World War.
- Author(s)Susan M. Schweik
- PublisherNew York University Press
- Date of Publication01/05/2009
- SubjectNational Law: Professional
- Series TitleThe Ugly Laws
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNew York University Press
- Content Note18 illustrations
- Weight739 g
- Width3887 mm
- Height5817 mm
- Spine33 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.