All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSashiko (prounced shash-ko) means 'stab stitch' and refers to the small running stitch that is worked to build up distinctive decorative patterns, of which there are hundreds. The book begins by exploring the origins of the technique to strengthen clothes and to make them warmer. Getting Started describes everything you need to begin stitching, including sleecting suitable fabrics and threads, marking out patterns on the fabric, as well as the stitching technique itself. Ten project chapters show how easy it is to use sashiko patterns to make beautiful items for the home. The sashiko patterns are described in step-by-step detail in the pattern library, showing you exactly how to achieve each individual pattern with ease. Finally a gallery of work by contemporary Japanese extile artists provides extra inspiration.
- Author BiographySusan Briscoe is a textile designer, author and teacher, specializing in sashiko and Japanese textile design. After graduating in visual art and design, Susan worked as an English teacher in Japan, where she also studied the tea ceremony, traditional textiles, and kimono design and tailoring. Susan has created design kits for Japanese patchwork fabrics, published textile projects in books and magazines, and demonstrates her work at quilt and textile shows.
- Author(s)Susan Briscoe
- PublisherDavid & Charles
- Date of Publication27/05/2005
- SubjectHandicrafts, Arts & Crafts
- Place of PublicationNewton Abbot
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintDavid & Charles
- Content Note225 colour illustrations
- Width216 mm
- Height279 mm
- Spine0 mm
Most relevant reviews
- robbonnarelle09 May, 2014by
it is an excellent book very good explanation easy to understand i would recommend it to anyone
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $90.88Trending at AU $93.26
- AU $28.71Trending at AU $30.90
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $79.02
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.42
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $22.22
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.31
- AU $30.95Trending at AU $33.19
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.