All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFrom the establishment of New York's police force in 1845 through the terrorist attack on the World Trade Center in 2001 to the present day, this visual history of New York City is a peek behind the police tape at more than 150 years of crime. This 320-page chrological tour covers events that shocked the nation, from arson to gangland murders, robberies, serial killers, bombings, and kidnappings. They include headline-grabbing episodes such as architect Stanford White's shooting at Madison Square Garden, the Pierre Hotel Robbery of 1972, the bombing of Wall Street in 1920, the 1928 hit on mobster Arld Rothstein at the Park Sheraton Hotel, and Kitty Gevese's 1964 stabbing, which was witnessed by a dozen bystanders who did t call the police. Lesser-kwn crimes that changed the way the NYPD pursued criminals are also profiled. Perfect for crime buffs, urban historians, and fans of photography and photojournalism, this riveting collection details New York's most startling and unsettling moments through behind-the-scenes stories and more than 500 photographs.
- Author BiographyBernard J. Whalen is a lieutenant in the NYPD, where he has served for more than 34 years. He has published two books, The NYPD's First Fifty Years and the novel Justifiable Homicide. He lives in New York. Philip Messing has been a journalist who has covered crime and law enforcement for more than 35 years. He is a veteran staff reported for the New York Post and lives in New York. Robert Mladinich is a retired NYPD detective, who has named Cop of the Year in 1985. He has written a number of true crime books, including From the Mouth of the Monster: The Joel Rifkin Story, as well as articles for magazines including Playboy and Details. He is also the writer/editor for Frontline, a publication of the NYC Sergeants Benevolent Association. He lives in New York.
- Author(s)Bernard J. Whalen,Philip Messing,Robert Mladinich
- PublisherBlack Dog & Leventhal Publishers Inc
- Date of Publication27/10/2016
- SubjectTrue Crime
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBlack Dog & Leventhal Publishers Inc
- Content Note500 b&w and colour photographs
- Weight2182 g
- Width313 mm
- Height266 mm
- Spine34 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.40
- AU $166.94Trending at AU $170.82
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $118.00
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $109.01
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $107.40
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $52.58
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.95
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.