All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $75.40
- AU $64.90Trending at AU $71.21
- AU $93.88Trending at AU $107.51
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $104.10
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.47
- AU $55.80Trending at AU $57.00
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $113.28
About this product
- DescriptionTravelling through the history of art from the 15th till the 20th century, The Unfinished Painting is an ambitious survey of works of art by Old and Modern Masters including Van Eyck, Leonardo, Michelangelo, Rubens, David, Manet, Cezanne, Matisse and Mondrian that have remained deliberately or unintentionally unfinished, and that are usually marginalized in traditional art history. They remain incomplete for various reasons: illness or death of the artist; political turmoil forcing him to flee; disagreements with the commissioner or dissatisfaction with the artistic result. However, from the 16th century onwards, artists started to use the n finito as a tool of expression. Unfinished pictures therefore gained a certain reputation in the romantic era, when they were thought to offer the spectator a glimpse of artistic genius. In the 20th century, these paintings were discovered by cubists, expressionists and abstract painters who were fascinated by their rough and incoherent appearance, often unaware of their history. This book follows the creative process of some fifty such paintings, offering a new perspective on the history of Western Art.
- Author(s)Nico van Hout,Paul Huvenne
- PublisherLudion Editions NV
- Date of Publication26/11/2012
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Place of PublicationGhent
- Country of PublicationBelgium
- ImprintLudion Editions NV
- Out-of-print date11/10/2014
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight1720 g
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.