CURRENTLY SOLD OUT
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.20Trending at AU $74.34
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.78
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $73.15
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.45
- AU $36.81Trending at AU $44.56
- AU $46.38Trending at AU $48.26
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.26
About this product
- DescriptionLeading sixteenth-century scholars such as Martin Luther and Desiderius Erasmus used print techlogy to engage in dialogue and debate with authoritative contemporary texts. By what Juan Luis Vives termed 'the unfolding of words,' these humanists gave old works new meanings in brief tes and extensive commentaries, full paraphrases, or translations. This critique challenged the Middle Ages' deference to authors and authorship and resulted in some of the most original thought - and most violent controversy - of the Renaissance and Reformation. The Unfolding of Words brings together international scholarship to explore crucial changes in writers' interactions with religious and classical texts. This collection focuses particularly on commentaries by Erasmus, contextualizing his Antations and Paraphrases on the New Testament against broader currents and works by such contemporaries as Francois Rabelais and Jodocus Badius. The Unfolding of Words tracks humanist explorations of the possibilities of the page that led to the modern dictionary, encyclopedia, and scholarly edition.
- Author BiographyJudith Rice Henderson is a professor in the Department of English and is active in the Classical, Medieval, and Renaissance Studies Program at the University of Saskatchewan.
- Author(s)Judith Rice Henderson
- PublisherUniversity of Toronto Press
- Date of Publication07/02/2013
- SubjectCultural Studies
- Series TitleErasmus Studies
- Place of PublicationToronto
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintUniversity of Toronto Press
- Content Note16
- Weight570 g
- Width156 mm
- Height236 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.