All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThere have always been homeless people, but only in the 20th century have refugees become an important part of international politics, seriously affecting relations between states. Since the 1880s the number of displaced persons has climbed astromically, with people scattered over vaster distances and for longer periods of time than ever before. Tracing the emergence of this new variety of collective alienation, this text covers everything from the late 19th century to the beginning of the 21st century, encompassing the Armenian refugees, the Jews, the Spanish Civil War emigres, the Cold War refugees in flight from Soviet states and more. It shows t only the astounding dimensions of the subject but also depicts the shocking apathy and antipathy of the international community toward the homeless. It also examines the impact of refugee movements on great power diplomacy and considers the evolution of agencies designed to assist refugees, ting outstanding successes and failures.
- Author BiographyMichael R. Marrus is Chancellor Rose and Ray Wolfe Professor of Holocaust Studies and Dean of Graduate Studies at the University of Toronto. He is the author of five books, including, most recently, The Nuremberg War Crimes Trial 1945-46: A Documentary History.Aristide R. Zolberg is University-in-Exile Professor at the Graduate Faculty of the New School for Social Research in New York City and Director of the International Center for Migration, Ethnicity, and Citizenship. He is the author or editor of many books, including Escape from Violence: Conflict and the Refugee Crisis in the Developing World.
- Author(s)Michael R. Marrus
- PublisherTemple University Press,U.S.
- Date of Publication31/12/2001
- SubjectSocial Issues, Services & Welfare
- Series TitlePolitics History & Social Chan
- Place of PublicationPhiladelphia PA
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTemple University Press,U.S.
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Foreword byAristide R. Zolberg
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.82
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.80
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $74.86
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $36.95
- AU $44.96Trending at AU $47.10
- AU $25.61Trending at AU $28.23
- AU $9.83Trending at AU $13.31
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.