All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $79.19
- AU $69.30Trending at AU $126.99
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $10.45
- AU $16.68Trending at AU $22.31
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.48
- AU $40.00Trending at AU $40.72
- AU $36.22Trending at AU $37.76
About this product
- DescriptionThe German filmmaker Alexander Kluge has long promoted cinema's relationship with the goals of human emancipation. Jean-Luc Godard and Filipi director Kidlat Tahimik also believe in cinema's ability to bring about what Theodor W. Ador once called a redeemed world. Situating the films of Godard, Tahimik, and Kluge within debates over social revolution, utopian ideals, and the unrealized potential of utopian thought and action, Christopher Pavsek showcases the strengths, weaknesses, and undeniable impact of their utopian visions on film's political evolution. He discusses Godard's Alphaville (1965) against Germany Year 90 Nine-Zero (1991) and JLG/JLG: Self-portrait in December (1994), and he conducts the first scholarly reading of Film Socialisme (2010). He considers Tahimik's virtually unkwn masterpiece, I Am Furious Yellow (1981-1991), along with Perfumed Nightmare (1977) and Turumba (1983); and he constructs a dialogue between Kluge's Brutality in Stone (1961) and Yesterday Girl (1965) and his later The Assault of the Present on the Rest of Time (1985) and Fruits of Trust (2009).
- Author BiographyChristopher Pavsek is associate professor of film in the School for the Contemporary Arts at Simon Fraser University in Vancouver. His films include The One and All (2002) and To Those Born After (2005), and he is the translator of Alexander Kluge's Learning Processes with a Deadly Outcome.
- Author(s)Christopher Pavsek
- PublisherColumbia University Press
- Date of Publication15/02/2013
- SubjectFilm, TV & Radio
- Series TitleFilm and Culture Series
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintColumbia University Press
- Content Note37 illus.
- Weight454 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.