All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $103.88Trending at AU $107.88
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.61
- AU $166.94Trending at AU $169.05
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $107.96
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.36
- AU $49.80Trending at AU $52.07
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $88.81
About this product
- DescriptionEvery year, nearly one hundred thousand Japanese vanish without a trace. Kwn as the johatsu, or the evaporated, they are often driven by shame and hopelessness, leaving behind lost jobs, disappointed families, and mounting debts. In The Vanished, journalist Lena Mauger and photographer Stephane Remael uncover the human faces behind the phemen through reportage, photographs, and interviews with those who left, those who stayed behind, and those who help orchestrate the disappearances. Their quest to learn the stories of the johatsu weaves its way through: A Tokyo neighborhood so torious for its petty criminal activities that it was literally erased from the maps Reprogramming camps for subpar bureaucrats and businessmen to become better employees The charmless citadel of Toyota City, with its iron grip on its employees The suicide cliffs of Tojinbo, patrolled by a man fighting to save the desperate The desolation of Fukushima in the aftermath of the tsunami And yet, as exotic and foreign as their stories might appear to an outsider's eyes, the human experience shared by the interviewees remains powerfully universal.
- Author BiographyLena Mauger is an avid traveler and journalist for the magazines XXI and 6mois. She first explored the subject of Japan's evaporated people for a piece in XXI. Stephane Remael is a documentary photographer. He has traveled the world to cover stories in Bolivia, Georgia, China, Nepal, and Morocco, among other places. His work has been published in numerous French and international newspapers and magazines such as Newsweek, TIME, the Financial Times, and the Wall Street Journal.
- Author(s)Lena Mauger
- PublisherSkyhorse Publishing
- Date of Publication20/09/2016
- SubjectPeople & Places: General
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSky Pony Press
- Content Note43 color photos
- Weight714 g
- Width140 mm
- Height190 mm
- Spine30 mm
- Photographer(s)Stephane Remael
- Translated byBrian Phalen
- Format DetailsCloth over boards
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.