All listings for this product
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $72.69
- AU $89.19Trending at AU $104.01
- AU $66.82Trending at AU $74.89
- AU $20.99Trending at AU $22.73
- AU $13.21Trending at AU $15.50
- AU $30.11Trending at AU $36.25
- AU $10.20Trending at AU $14.20
About this product
- DescriptionMary Hays was an outspoken Radical intellectual in the turbulent decade of the 1790's. She argued vehemently for the need to recognise the moral and rational qualities of women, the necessity of a better system of education for girls, and the importance of giving women without fortunes a career without 'servitude in prostitution.' The Victim of Prejudice-Hays' second vel, first published in 1799-is a powerful indictment of man-made institutions such as the courts and legislative systems which favour persons of wealth and rank. In the vel the metaphor of women's confinement becomes real as the heroine's worst nightmares, her horrors and sense of helplessness become a physical reality. The Victim of Prejudice is of great interest for its strong feminist content, and it is both powerful and moving as a literary work; this edition makes this important late eighteenth-century text again available to a wide readership.
- Author BiographyEleanor Ty is Associate Professor of English at Wilfrid Laurier University. She has published Empowering the Feminine (1999) and Unsex'd Revolutionaries (1993).
- Author(s)Mary Hays
- PublisherBroadview Press Ltd
- Date of Publication15/10/1998
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Series TitleBroadview Editions
- Place of PublicationPeterborough
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintBroadview Press Ltd
- Weight381 g
- Width141 mm
- Height219 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Edited byEleanor Ty
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.