Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.33Trending at AU $49.44
- AU $77.99Trending at AU $116.29
- AU $70.24Trending at AU $77.15
- AU $73.79Trending at AU $76.54
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $26.74Trending at AU $37.56
- AU $40.75Trending at AU $42.35
About this product
- DescriptionThere is a human curiosity to kw where you have come from in order to kw where you are going. On the journey historical and political events shape our lives. Toomas Hendrik Ilves, President of Estonia says, 'It is t the depth of the crisis but rather our behaviour during the crisis that will show us who we truly are.' 'The view from here' explores below the surface of compelling family stories, of what people today do t talk about, maybe do t kw eugh facts to talk about, and which will be forgotten when the older generation is gone. Why do they hold onto their truths? A framework of a family's departure from Estonia to Sweden and then arrival in Australia provides the foundation for an exploration of historical and political events, culture and heritage by Estonians seeking freedom from Soviet occupation. The approach is to base the history and politics on a wide range of observations and reports by table figures of the time to serve as a foundation and act as a resource for furthering research, education and understanding of what being a migrant and an Estonian involves. In addition personal experiences are included of the journey of discovery of one's heritage under themes of lost time, lost in translation, eastern borders, heritage and independence relating to Estonia; Australia's and Sweden's reception of migrants; and adjustments to living as a migrant in Sweden and Australia. The family's mementos are held by the Australian National Maritime Museum, Sydney.
- Author BiographyAnn Mihkelson was born in Sweden of Estonian parents who left their homeland in the wake of Soviet occupation in 1944. They migrated from Sweden to Australia where Ann studied and had an academic career in chemistry. Her interests include travel and writing. She now lives in Melbourne.
- Author(s)Ann Mihkelson
- Date of Publication18/02/2011
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectRegional History
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight422 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.