All listings for this product
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $17.23Trending at AU $20.89
- AU $21.73Trending at AU $25.59
- AU $23.94Trending at AU $26.86
- AU $11.39Trending at AU $14.06
- AU $19.14Trending at AU $24.11
- AU $18.17Trending at AU $23.57
- AU $11.58Trending at AU $14.74
About this product
- DescriptionFleeing Atlanta and an emotionally abusive marriage, Imogene McBride is heading west with her precocious, beautiful teenage daughter, Cora, when their car breaks down in the tiny North Texas town of Agatite. While her mother sits out its repair on a bench on the courthouse lawn, Cora wanders off to buy ice cream, enters a drugstore and disappears without a trace. Initially, believing Cora is playing a prank, an agitated Imma storms the drugstore and then the sheriffs office demanding answers. When answers don't come, she returns to the park bench to wait, her anyance turning to fear, and then obsession. So begins Immas vigil and the classic first vel of Reylds' Sandhill Chronicles , a timeless testament to place and character. As her waiting stretches from days and weeks into years, Imma becomes as the town eccentric if t mad woman a pivotal institution in Agatite and the lives of its inhabitants. Most affected by Immas obsession is Sheriff Ezra Holmes, a widower who has kept his emotional life in check since the death of his beloved wife. Now his controlled life is disrupted by the woman on the bench, whose presence compels and arouses Ezra in ways mysterious even to himself. As he works to unravel the mystery of Coras disappearance, a bond develops between the aging sheriff and the eccentric woman who brings Ezra both new hope and forces him to confront his own pain. An absorbing blend of mystery, psychological thriller, and character study, this tale of one womans obsession and the spell it casts is utterly unforgettable. '[An] engrossing first vel. [Reylds] kws how to create and sustain tension without resorting to sensationalism. His book, like its protagonist, has a stubborn integrity that you cant help admiring. [Immas] metamorphosis...is absorbing' - New York Times .
- Author(s)Clay Reynolds
- PublisherTexas Tech Press,U.S.
- Date of Publication15/11/2001
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Series TitleSandhill Chronicle
- Place of PublicationTexas
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTexas Tech Press,U.S.
- Weight399 g
- Width153 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine16 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.