Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $30.49Trending at AU $31.88
- AU $55.54Trending at AU $56.93
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $84.75
- AU $29.92Trending at AU $31.38
- AU $46.03Trending at AU $52.71
- AU $12.67Trending at AU $12.99
- AU $41.46Trending at AU $49.43
About this product
- DescriptionD. H. Lawrence's best-kwn late fictions are presented in this volume, which is dominated by two powerful vellas, The Virgin and the Gipsy and The Escaped Cock (also kwn as The Man Who Died). In the first, a young woman from a restrictive English rectory discovers further dimensions to life through her contact with a gipsy; in the second, an unnamed man - in fact Lawrence's vision of Christ - is resurrected and escapes from his tomb. Both vellas deal with the themes of escape and sexual awakening, which are echoed in the four short stories and three fragments also collected here. This edition restores Lawrence's final texts, before the changes introduced by censorship, mistakes in transmission and various other forms of interference, with variants recorded. The introduction traces the history of the stories, while the tes offer help with allusions, contexts and other points of potential difficulty or interest.
- Author BiographyMichael Herbert is Senior Lecturer in English at the University of St Andrews. Bethan Jones is Lecturer in English at the University of Hull. Lindeth Vasey is Copyeditorial Manager at Penguin.
- Author(s)D. H. Lawrence
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication26/06/2014
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Series TitleThe Cambridge Edition of the Works of D. H. Lawrence
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight460 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine21 mm
- Edited byBethan Jones,Lindeth Vasey,Michael Herbert
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.