All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMartin Preib is an officer in the Chicago Police Department - a beat cop whose first assignment as a rookie policeman was working on the wagon that picks up the dead. Inspired by Preib's daily life on the job, The Wagon and Other Stories from the City chronicles the outer and inner lives of both a Chicago cop and the city itself. This book follows Preib as he transports body bags, forges an unlikely connection with his female partner, trains a younger officer, and finds himself among people long forgotten - or rendered invisible - by the rest of society. Preib recounts how he navigates the tenuous labyrinths of race and class in the urban metropolis, such as a domestic disturbance call involving a gang member and his abused girlfriend or a run-in with a group of drunk yuppies. As he encounters the real and imagined geographies of Chicago, the city reveals itself to be t just a backdrop but a central force in his narrative of life and death. Preib's accounts, all told in his breathtaking prose, come alive in ways that readers will long remember.
- Author BiographyMartin Preib is an officer with the Chicago Police Department. His essays have appeared in the Virginia Quarterly Review and Tin House.
- Author(s)Martin Preib
- PublisherThe University of Chicago Press
- Date of Publication19/04/2011
- SubjectAutobiography: General
- Place of PublicationChicago, IL
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Chicago Press
- Weight213 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine11 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.34Trending at AU $49.62
- AU $77.99Trending at AU $116.74
- AU $28.60Trending at AU $31.14
- AU $70.29Trending at AU $77.45
- AU $74.01Trending at AU $76.83
- AU $35.46Trending at AU $39.18
- AU $26.74Trending at AU $37.70
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.