All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.86
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.84
- AU $24.98Trending at AU $25.26
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $75.02
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $37.03
- AU $44.96Trending at AU $47.20
- AU $24.92Trending at AU $28.26
About this product
- DescriptionIn the course of a two-year odyssey ...Kizzia visited numerous native settlements, interviewed leaders and followers, and wrote the feature articles that make up this charming, informative book...Kizzia writes a clear, ubtrusive prose that crystallizes in memorable images. --Washington Post. A boatful of native Alaskans slapping downriver through the chop on their way to the biggest softball game of the season. A hunter singing the old songs for hunting luck, as he swmobiles onto the ice with his rifle. Such contrasts--Eskimo and outsider, ancient and modern--run through Tom Kizzia's chronicle of travels in the Alaska bush in search of 'ancestral landscapes.' --Smithsonian. Kizzia writes with a quiet compassion that brings the people and their hard land clearly into focus. --Boston Globe. Kizzia ...is a thoughtful and lyrical writer who manages to be sensitive without veering into sentimentality...[He] joined Eskimos and Athabaskan Indians in steambaths and softball games. He visited their homes and their Russian Orthodox churches and their fishing camps. He even went on a ruthless whale hunt with two young Eskimos, a skiff and a .22-caliber rifle. A careful and sympathetic observer. --Philadelphia Inquirer. Tom Kizzia is a journalist at the Anchorage Daily News.
- Author BiographyTom Kizzia is a journalist at the Anchorage Daily News.
- Author(s)Tom Kizzia
- PublisherUniversity of Nebraska Press
- Date of Publication01/06/1998
- SubjectTravel Writing
- Place of PublicationLincoln
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Nebraska Press
- Content NoteMap
- Weight313 g
- Width3404 mm
- Height5182 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.