All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.09
- AU $166.95Trending at AU $170.17
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $117.55
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.59
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.99
- AU $49.74Trending at AU $52.38
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.54
About this product
- DescriptionThis book provides the first full single-volume scholarly account in English of the Waldenses and examination of the concept of Waldensianism from the late 12th century to the Reformation. Waldenses is the name given to diverse and widely-scattered groups of religious dissenters since the time of the movement's reputed founder, a rich citizen of Lyon called Valdesius, in the late twelfth century. Though living within the culture of the Catholic Church, these people doubted the holiness of its priesthood and questioned its teachings about the destiny of souls after death. The various strands of this movement emerged and endured over a long period of time. In consequence some earlier historians assumed, rather than demonstrated, that 'Waldensian' heresy remained one coherent phemen throughout its life-span. They also tended to neglect some of the transient or 'untypical' aspects of the movement. This new book draws on primary sources to consider each of the manifestations of the movement in turn. It examines connections in space and time through correspondence and tradition between the different groups of Waldenses. It also asks what were the common threads in certain characteristics of religious practice, linking in differing degrees all the forms that the movement took.
- Author Biography<b>Euan Cameron</b> is Professor of Early Modern History at the University of Newcastle upon Tyne. He is author of <i>The European Reformation</i> (1991) and editor of <i>Early Modern Europe: An Oxford History</i> (1999) and has published a number of journal articles on heresy and the Reformation. His first book on Waldensian heresy, <i>The Reformation of the Heretics, </i> was published in 1984.
- Author(s)Professor Euan Cameron
- PublisherJohn Wiley and Sons Ltd
- Date of Publication01/12/2000
- SubjectChristianity: General
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBlackwell Publishers
- Content Note0
- Weight638 g
- Width159 mm
- Height236 mm
- Spine30 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.