All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $103.88Trending at AU $107.66
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.45
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $116.63
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $107.74
- AU $49.79Trending at AU $51.97
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $104.72
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $88.64
About this product
- DescriptionIn 1922, an early association of film publicists kwn as the Western Associated Motion Picture Advertisers (Wampas) hit upon a strategy to call attention to their organization and their industry. The group selected 13 young actresses with potential star power and promoted them heavily as Baby (meaning junior) Stars. To be selected a Wampas Baby Star soon became a much-sought hor - a ticket to recognition and publicity in those days before the Academy Awards.While a few Baby Stars (Ginger Rogers, Joan Crawford) went on to superstardom and others enjoyed modest success, some failed to shine. Many of the nearly 150 actresses chosen during the program's existence, 1922-1934, are forgotten names today.This book offers full biographical details on every actress selected as a Wampas Baby Star. Each actress' entry traces her career and lists films in which she appeared. A year-by-year section lists each year's stars and alternates. Appendices include lists of rivals and successors to the Wampas Baby program (such as the Paramount Protegees ), Wampas Drop-Outs, presidents of Wampas, and miscellaneous facts about the Wampas Babies (which actress was tallest? Shortest? Oldest at time of selection?). Photographs, a bibliography and an index are included.
- Author BiographyRoy Liebman, formerly a librarian and film bibliographer at California State University, currently works at the Los Angeles Public Library. Living in Woodland Hills, California, he is also the author of From Silents to Sound (1998) and Silent Film Performers (1996).
- Author(s)Roy Liebman
- PublisherMcFarland & Co Inc
- Date of Publication15/02/2009
- SubjectFilm, TV & Radio
- Place of PublicationJefferson, NC
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMcFarland & Co Inc
- Content Notephotos, filmographies, bibliography, index
- Weight499 g
- Width175 mm
- Height251 mm
- Spine23 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.