All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.84
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.82
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.31
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $74.95
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $37.00
- AU $24.97Trending at AU $28.26
- AU $9.83Trending at AU $13.32
About this product
- DescriptionMuch of the material available to readers in the English language interested in the exploits of the troops of Haver, Brunswick and Nassau is in the form of dry official reports which stick to the basic facts and avoid all sentimentality and emotion. However, unbekwn to virtually anyone in the English speaking world interested in the more human aspects of these 'foreign' troops fighting alongside the British at Waterloo, there are a number of memoirs and sets of letters which have been published in Germany over the last two centuries. Until w, these had never been translated into English and so have been inaccessible to the vast majority. This volume seeks to put this right and to bring to life the human story of these German troops - their trials and tribulations, their sufferings and their emotions - and to finally reveal their views on the battle which many entered with mixed emotions. Highlights include an account of the confusion in the final 'great advance' at Waterloo; eyewitness recollections of the defence of La Haye Sainte; rare battle reports by the Duke of Wellington; and a fascinating series of letters explaining the whereabouts of a number of 'missing' Haverian regimental and staff surgeons and subsequent court martials.
- Author BiographyGARETH GLOVER has researched the Napoleonic wars for over 30 years, and in the last seven years has undertaken to publish the huge number of previously unpublished accounts he has gathered. He has published over 30 volumes of these memoirs to date.
- Author(s)Gareth Glover
- PublisherPen & Sword Books Ltd
- Date of Publication03/05/2013
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationBarnsley
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintFrontline Books
- Content Notecolour plates
- Weight612 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine24 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.