All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionLeave It to Beaver was t a documentary, a man's home has never been his castle, the 'male breadwinner marriage' is the least traditional family in history, and rape and sexual assault were far higher in the 1970s than they are today. In The Way We Never Were, acclaimed historian Stephanie Coontz provides a myth-shattering examination of two centuries of the American family, sweeping away misconceptions about the past that cloud current debates about domestic life. The 1950s do t present a workable model of how to conduct our personal lives today, Coontz argues, and neither does any other era from our cultural past. This revised edition includes a new introduction and epilogue, looking at what has and has t changed since the original publication in 1992, and exploring how the clash between growing gender equality and growing ecomic inequality is reshaping family life, marriage, and male-female relationships in our modern era. Now more relevant than ever, The Way We Never Were continues to be a potent corrective to dangerous stalgia for an American tradition that never really existed.
- Author BiographyStephanie Coontz is a member of the faculty of Evergreen State College in Olympia, Washington, where she is a historian and an expert on American culture.
- Author(s)Stephanie Coontz
- PublisherThe Perseus Books Group
- Date of Publication14/04/2016
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Place of PublicationWashington
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBasic Civitas Books
- Weight572 g
- Width140 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine38 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.36Trending at AU $49.47
- AU $74.17Trending at AU $76.60
- AU $22.10Trending at AU $23.03
- AU $35.48Trending at AU $39.06
- AU $26.74Trending at AU $37.56
- AU $17.57Trending at AU $23.07
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $38.86
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.