All listings for this product
About this product
- Description2014 sees the 120th anniversary of the opening of the West Highland Railway between Craigendoran and Fort William, when the through journey from Glasgow took some five hours. With the great age of railway building almost over, the West Highland was from the outset a 'social line', though corporate empire building and speculation played a part. Subsequently extended to Mallaig, with state assistance, the West Highland route has been voted top railway journey - and the most scenic - in the world. From the rth shore of the Firth of Clyde, the line passes the Gare Loch, Loch Long and Loch Lomond before crossing desolate but beautiful Ranch Moor. From Corrour, Britain's highest and most inaccessible railway station, it descends through Glen Spean into Lochaber. In this profusely illustrated book, Dr John McGregor takes a look at this famous line, from its construction to the present day - the men who built it; its early years and varied fortunes thereafter; changing traffic patterns; advertising and tourism; maintenance and mishaps; and the return of heritage steam.
- Author BiographyJohn McGregor recently retired as a lecturer at the Open University. He is a trustee of the Glenfinnan Station Museum and a member of the Friends of the West Highland Line. In 1994 he wrote 100 Years of the West Highland Railway for ScotRail, and in 2005 produced The West Highland Railway: Plans, Politics and People for Birlinn. His previous titles by Amberley are: West Highland Line Great Railway Journeys Through Time and West Highland Extension Great Railway Journeys Through Time. He lives near Edinburgh.
- Author(s)John McGregor
- PublisherAmberley Publishing
- Date of Publication15/08/2014
- SubjectTrains & Railways: General Interest
- Place of PublicationChalford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAmberley Publishing
- Content Note100
- Weight431 g
- Width246 mm
- Height168 mm
- Spine13 mm
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $72.93
- AU $23.60Trending at AU $29.65
- AU $32.93Trending at AU $36.60
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $47.93
- AU $30.86Trending at AU $32.07
- AU $23.80Trending at AU $32.73
- AU $16.92Trending at AU $22.07
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.