All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.40
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $15.91
- AU $31.45Trending at AU $33.28
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $96.53
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $86.07
- AU $18.54Trending at AU $23.02
- AU $29.00Trending at AU $39.16
About this product
- DescriptionWhich river has half the distilleries in Scotland found along its length and in its surrounding glens? Were monks at the forefront of developing whisky? Which Speyside distillery produced chilli-flavoured whisky? How did Glenrothes distillery expel its ghost? Robin Laing - singer-songwriter, author of The Whisky Muse , and chair of the Scotch Malt Whisky Society's Tasting Panel - set out to visit every distillery in the Speyside area, from Benromach to Tomintoul, and presents a guide to each of them here. There are descriptions of over 50 distilleries on Speyside, including The Macallan, The Glenlivet, Cardhu, Aberlour, Glenfiddich and Glengrant. Each entry is part history, part travelogue and part commentary on the changes in the whisky industry. It includes personal musings by the author, stories associated with the distillery and snippets of poetry and song. Laing's 'spirit' guide in his journey is Alfred Barnard, author of 1887's The Whisky Distilleries of the United Kingdom. Barnard visited many of the same distilleries that Laing visits w and similarly left his impressions of the state of the facilities and the beauty of the surroundings. Much of this present book compares what Barnard found with what exists w, and the differences - and similarities - are often fascinating.
- Author BiographyRobin Laing is a highly respected Scottish folk-singer and songwriter from Edinburgh, now based in Lanarkshire. Until 1996, his musical activities were semi-professional. He has now released five solo albums, and been involved in a number of other CDs. He has toured extensively in the UK and overseas, and also teaches traditional song and runs songwriting workshops. Robin is on the Nosing Panel of the Scotch Malt Whisky Society.
- Author(s)Robin Laing
- PublisherLuath Press Ltd
- Date of Publication01/05/2007
- SubjectPeople & Places: General
- Place of PublicationEdinburgh
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintLuath Press Ltd
- Out-of-print date14/04/2011
- Content Noteb&w line drawing throughout
- Weight399 g
- Width155 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Illustrator(s)Bob Dewar
- Edition Statement2nd
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.