All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe definitive edition of one of the more extraordinary and influential books of our timeThis labyrinthine and extraordinary book, first published more than sixty years ago, was the outcome of Robert Graves's vast reading and curious research into strange territories of folklore, mythology, religion, and magic. Erudite and impassioned, it is a scholar-poet's quest for the meaning of European myths, a polemic about the relations between man and woman, and also an intensely personal document in which Graves explores the sources of his own inspiration and, as he believed, all true poetry. Incorporating all of Graves's final revisions, his replies to two of the original reviewers, and an essay describing the months of illumination in which The White Goddess was written, this is the definitive edition of one of the most influential books of our time.
- Author BiographyRobert Graves (1895-1985) was a poet, novelist, and critic. His first volume of poems, Over the Brazier (1916), reflected his experiences in the trenches during World War I and was followed by many works of poetry, nonfiction, and fiction. He is perhaps best known for his novel I, Claudius (1934), which won the Hawthornden Prize and the James Tait Black Memorial Prize. Grevel Lindop's books include Travels on the Dance Floor: One Man's Journey to the Heart of Salsa, The English Opium Eater: A Life of Thomas De Quincey, and several volumes of poems. He was born in Liverpool and now lives in Manchester, where he was formerly a professor of Romantic andEarly Victorian Studies at the Victoria University of Manchester.
- Author(s)Robert Graves
- PublisherFarrar, Straus and Giroux
- Date of Publication08/10/2013
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleFSG Classics
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintFarrar, Straus and Giroux
- Weight476 g
- Width137 mm
- Height206 mm
- Spine38 mm
- Edited byFreelance Writer Grevel Lindop
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
- Edition Statement2nd
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $35.30Trending at AU $38.10
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.98
- AU $15.52Trending at AU $23.38
- AU $30.82Trending at AU $34.99
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.48
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.92
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $32.14
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.