All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn the aftermath of the 2012 elections some progressive commentators have drawn the mistaken conclusion that the Democratic coalition longer needs to win the support of any significant number of white working class Americans. The high turut and pro-Democrats tilt of youth, mirities, single women and upscale professionals in 2012 has led some political strategists to imagine a new Obama coalition that does t need to include white working Americans. Andrew Levison's remarkable new book dramatically challenges this false tion and presents a compelling case that winning the support of a substantial group of white working class Americans remains absolutely critical for the creation of a stable Democratic majority. The book very dramatically shows: That white workers remain a critical swing group in American politics That white workers represent a far larger part of the workforce than is often thought. That white workers are t all conservative but include many progressives and moderates as well. The book presents extensive data drawn from demographic analysis, opinion polls, focus groups and field research to butress its dramatic conclusions Reviews: Andy Levison's The White Working Class Today is a tremendous contribution to our understanding of this vital group. Too many progressives dismiss the white working class as either irrelevant or hopelessly reactionary or both. Levison shows in this compelling, empirically grounded work just how wrong they are. I don't often describe a book as a must read. This is one. Ruy Teixeira, Senior Fellow at the Center for American Progress, Guest Scholar at the Brookings Institution and Author of The Emerging Democratic Majority: The White Working Class Today is a studious, well-researched, and timely signal to progressives that we cant igre today's Reagan Democrats. Levison is a rare voice in progressive and Democratic circles today, and this book raises critical questions about how progressives should think about, define, and address the needs of the white working class. Stan Greenberg, leading Democratic pollster, political strategist and advisor to Bill Clinton, Al Gore, John Kerry, Tony Blair and other progressive leaders In White Working Class Today, Andrew Levison offers us a powerful analysis and solution to one of the most important dynamics in politics -- the alienation between white working class voters and liberals. Levision fills a large void in an important discussion, explaining exactly how the Democratic coalition can break the political stalemate, bring this important group into the fold and move a stable, progressive agenda forward. Karen Nussbaum, Executive director of Working America, the 3 million member community affiliate of the AFL-CIO. Andrew Levison's book assesses today's white working class from a fresh, empirically-grounded perspective, and provides unique insight for all those who want to understand this critically important segment of U.S. society and political life. Ed Kilgore, political commentator, author of the Washington Monthly's Political Animal.
- Author BiographyAndrew Levison is the author of two books and numerous articles on the political attitudes and social conditions of working class Americans. His first book, The Working Class Majority, was nominated for a National Book Award and serialized in The New Yorker. His articles and commentaries have appeared in the Nation, the American Prospect, the Washington Post, The Los Angeles Times and numerous other publications. Since 2003, Mr. Levison has been both the Director of Business and Operations and also a Contributing Editor to two significant online political publications: Ruy Teixeira's The Emerging Democratic Majority and The Democratic Strategist whose founding Co-editors were Stan Greenberg, William Galston and Ruy Teixeira. Mr. Levison is the author of over 200 articles for these publications, including many that deal with the issues discussed in his present book.
- Author(s)MR Andrew Levison
- PublisherDemocratic Strategist Press
- Date of Publication18/04/2013
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectCurrent Affairs & Issues
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintDemocratic Strategist Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight404 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine16 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.88Trending at AU $23.68
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $73.52
- AU $32.88Trending at AU $36.89
- AU $37.66Trending at AU $38.33
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.32
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.67
- AU $20.38Trending at AU $26.66
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.