Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $68.55Trending at AU $73.88
- AU $7.43Trending at AU $12.05
- AU $13.21Trending at AU $15.11
- AU $11.92Trending at AU $16.07
- AU $19.18Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $20.38Trending at AU $30.97
- AU $19.94Trending at AU $23.06
About this product
- DescriptionNot far from you-that is to say, in the village of Pestrovo-very distressing incidents are taking place, concerning which I feel it my duty to write to you. All the peasants of that village sold their cottages and all their belongings, and set off for the province of Tomsk, but did t succeed in getting there, and have come back. Here, of course, they have thing w; everything belongs to other people. They have settled three or four families in a hut, so that there are less than fifteen persons of both sexes in each hut, t counting the young children; and the long and the short of it is, there is thing to eat. There is famine and there is a terrible pestilence of hunger, or spotted, typhus; literally every one is stricken. The doctor's assistant says one goes into a cottage and what does one see? Every one is sick, every one delirious, some laughing, others frantic; the huts are filthy; there is one to fetch them water, one to give them a drink, and thing to eat but frozen potatoes. What can Sobol (our Zemstvo doctor) and his lady assistant do when more than medicine the peasants need bread which they have t? The District Zemstvo refuses to assist them, on the ground that their names have been taken off the register of this district, and that they are w reckoned as inhabitants of Tomsk; and, besides, the Zemstvo has money.
- Author(s)Anton Pavlovich Chekhovh Chekhov
- Date of Publication01/05/2014
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight159 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine6 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.