All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis full-color field guide is an indispensable companion to the most popular neotropical ecotourism destination: Costa Rica. Featuring all the mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians, and arthropods that one is likely to see on a trip to the rainforest (as well as those secretive creatures such as the jaguar that are difficult to glimpse), The Wildlife of Costa Rica is the guide to have when encountering trogons, tapirs, and tarantulas. In addition to providing details for identifying animals along with interesting facts about their natural history, this guide offers tips for seeing them in the wild. Costa Rica, a peaceful nation with many and diverse animal species, is one of the best places in the world for wildlife watching and nature study. It has an excellent system of national parks and reserves, a wide choice of ecolodges, and many professionally trained tourist guides. It is possible to leave the capital city of San Jose and, just a few hours later, visit a high-elevation cloud forest, dense rainforest, savanna-like plain, or coastal habitat, each with a unique collection of animal species. This new lightweight field guide provides nature enthusiasts visiting Costa Rica with the best introduction to the country's amazing diversity of wildlife. It is the first general field guide to Costa Rica to combine the most sought-after features: *treatment of all major phyla in the country; *coverage of the animals most likely and most desirable to be seen; *more than 600 detailed illustrations integrated with the text (the preferred method of animal identification in the wild); *full species accounts including ID points, range and habitat, size, and behaviors; *a wealth of natural history information, including more than 20 photographic natural history features; and *tips for seeing animals.
- Author BiographyTwan Leenders is President of the Roger Tory Peterson Institute of Natural History in Jamestown, New York. He is coauthor of The Wildlife of Costa Rica: A Field Guide, also from Cornell, and author of A Guide to Amphibians and Reptiles of Costa Rica. Robert Dean is an avid birder and natural history illustrator.He is the illustrator of Birds of Aruba, Bonaire, and Curacao: A Site and Field Guide,The Birds of Costa Rica: A Field Guide, The Birds of Panama: A Field Guide, and The Wildlife of Costa Rica: A Field Guide, all from Cornell.
- Author(s)Fiona A. Reid,Jim Zook,Robert Dean,Twan Leenders
- PublisherCornell University Press
- Date of Publication22/04/2010
- SubjectNatural History: Animal & Wildlife
- Series TitleZona Tropical Publications
- Place of PublicationIthaca
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintComstock Publishing Associates
- Content Note623
- Weight514 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine17 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.38Trending at AU $48.86
- AU $74.54Trending at AU $75.65
- AU $22.13Trending at AU $22.74
- AU $35.53Trending at AU $38.58
- AU $26.74Trending at AU $37.10
- AU $17.64Trending at AU $22.78
- AU $37.61Trending at AU $38.34
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.