All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe University of Florida has an ambitious goal: to harness the power of its faculty, staff, students, and alumni to solve some of society s most pressing problems and to become a resource for the state of Florida, the nation, and the world. Hurricanes and tornadoes and the devastation they leave in their wake are feared across the globe, but at the University of Florida these natural phemena are a fascinating research opportunity. At UF s Engineering School of Sustainable Infrastructure and Environment, wind engineers like Forrest Masters and David Prevatt study storm systems and design buildings to better withstand the forces of nature. Follow their stories as they venture inside Hurricane Wilma with wind gauges, travel to Joplin, Missouri to assess the wind-damage from the most powerful tornado in more than a half century, and conduct experiments with the lab s infamous Multi-Axis Wind Load Simulator, omiusly nicknamed The Judge. Yet the job of the UF wind engineers does t end there. They take their findings to the drafting table, build roofs and walls, and test shingles, shutters, and garage doors. Their goal: to make sure our houses are still standing, and we are safe, after the storm. The stories chronicled in GATORBYTES span all colleges and units across the UF campus. They detail the far-reaching impact of UF s research, techlogies, and invations and the UF faculty members dedicated to them. Gatorbytes describe how UF is continuing to build on its strengths and extend the reach of its efforts so that it can help even more people in even more places. Find Gatorbytes ebooks using your favorite reading device.
- Author(s)Jeff Klinkenberg
- Date of Publication28/10/2015
- FormatPaperback / softback
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight36 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine1 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $33.15Trending at AU $35.14
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.86
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $14.07
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.58
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $100.05
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $96.28
- AU $59.39Trending at AU $61.38
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.