All listings for this product
About this product
- Description<b>The wise and hilarious story of a family who discovered that having fewer tools to communicate with led them to actually communicate more. </b> When Susan Maushart first anunced her intention to pull the plug on her family's entire armory of electronic weaponry for six months-from the itsy-bitsiest iPod Shuffle to her son's seriously souped-up gaming PC-her three kids didn't blink an eye. Says Maushart: Looking back, I can understand why. They didn't hear me. For any parent who's ever IM-ed their child to the dinner table, this account of one family's self-imposed exile from the Information Age will leave you LOLing with recognition. But it will also make you think. <i>The Winter of Our Disconnect</i> challenges readers to examine the toll that techlogy is taking on their own family connections, and to create a media ecology that instead encourages kids-and parents-to thrive. Indeed, as a self-confessed single mom who slept with her iPhone, Maushart knew her family's exile from Cyburbia wasn't going to be any easier for her than for her three teenagers, ages fourteen, fifteen, and eighteen. Yet they all soon discovered that the rewards of becoming unplugged were more rich and varied than any cyber reality could ever be.
- Author BiographySusan Maushart is a columnist for <i>Weekend Australian Magazine</i> and is heard regularly on ABC Radio as host of the acclaimed online series Multiple Choice. Maushart has a PhD in Media Ecology from New York University and her book <i>The Mask of Motherhood</i> was hailed by the <i>London Times</i> as a feminist classic. She lives in Australia but will be returning to live in the Long Island, New York, area this winter.
- Author(s)Susan Maushart
- PublisherPenguin Putnam Inc
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectAutobiography: General
- Place of PublicationLos Angeles
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintJeremy P Tarcher
- Weight254 g
- Width141 mm
- Height209 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $3.76Trending at AU $7.42
- AU $27.81Trending at AU $30.93
- AU $19.24Trending at AU $26.96
- AU $28.03Trending at AU $32.03
- AU $71.17Trending at AU $80.06
- AU $13.99Trending at AU $15.78
- AU $25.16Trending at AU $27.13
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.