All listings for this product
Best-selling in Audio Books
Save on Audio Books
- AU $21.36Trending at AU $24.68
- AU $102.00Trending at AU $108.22
- AU $28.99Trending at AU $31.26
- AU $42.99Trending at AU $55.54
- AU $10.56Trending at AU $12.68
- AU $43.02Trending at AU $52.02
- AU $42.74Trending at AU $50.54
About this product
- DescriptionThe Wombles is the first ever Wombles book and introduces the stern but kindly Great Uncle Bulgaria; Orico, who is particularly fond of his food and a subsequent forty winks; general handyman extraordinaire Tobermory, who can turn almost anything that the Wombles retrieve from Wimbledon Common into something useful; Madame Cholet, who cooks the most delicious and natural foods to keep the Wombles happy and contented; and last but t least, Bungo, one of the youngest and cheekiest Wombles of all, who has much to learn and is due to venture out on to the Common on his own for the very first time ...
- Author BiographyElisabeth Beresford first came up with the idea for the Wombles characters when walking on Wimbledon Common with her two children. She started sketching out the characters that day: Great Uncle Bulgaria was based on her father-in-law, Tobermory on her brother (an inventor), Orinoco on her son, and Madame Cholet on her mother. She hoped that the Wombles stories would encourage children to fight pollution and to think up ways of 'making good use of bad rubbish'. In fact, the Wombles so charmed the nation that they were chosen as the mascots for the Tidy Britain campaign. Since then they have had their own television series, first broadcast on Jackanory. Elisabeth Beresford was awarded an MBE for her services to children's literature in 1998. Bernard Cribbins is the voice of the Wombles. He was awarded an OBE in the Queen's Birthday Honours List 2011 for his services to drama.
- Author(s)Elisabeth Beresford
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication11/10/2012
- SubjectChildren's Fiction
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Weight196 g
- Running Time324
- Edition StatementUnabridged
- Reading AgeFrom 7
- Interest AgeFrom 7
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.