All listings for this product
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $30.28Trending at AU $32.13
- AU $74.97Trending at AU $77.01
- AU $12.53Trending at AU $13.05
- AU $46.02Trending at AU $53.13
- AU $17.59Trending at AU $18.15
- AU $28.95Trending at AU $31.76
- AU $12.15Trending at AU $14.05
About this product
- DescriptionAt the very end of the Ladies' Frocks Departments, past Cocktail Frocks, there was something very special, something quite, quite wonderful; but it wasn't for everybody: that was the point. Because there, at the very end, there was a lovely arch, on which was written in curly letters Model Gowns. Written by a superb velist of contemporary manners, The Women in Black is a fairytale which illuminates the extraordinariness of ordinary lives. The women in black are run off their feet, what with the Christmas rush and the summer sales that follow. But it's Sydney in the 1950s, and there's still just eugh time left on a hot and frantic day to dream and scheme...By the time the last marked-down frock has been sold, most of the staff of the Ladies' Cocktail section at F. G. Goode's have been launched into slightly different careers. With the lightest touch and the most tender of comic instincts, Madeleine St John conjures a vanished summer of incence. The Women in Black is a great vel, a lost Australian classic.
- Author BiographyMadeleine St John is the author of A Pure Clear Light, The Essence of the Thing (which was shortlisted for the Booker Prize), and Stairway to Paradise.
- Author(s)Madeleine St.John
- PublisherText Publishing Co
- Date of Publication26/04/2012
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Series TitleText Classics
- Place of PublicationMelbourne
- Country of PublicationAustralia
- ImprintThe Text Publishing Company
- Weight187 g
- Width129 mm
- Height199 mm
- Spine16 mm
- Introduction byBruce Beresford
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
- Edition StatementReprinted edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.