All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhen country-girl Grace Melbury returns home from her middle-class school she feels she has risen above her suitor, the simple woodsman Giles Winterborne. Though marriage had been discussed between her and Giles, Grace finds herself captivated by Dr Edred Fitzpiers, a sophisticated newcomer to the area - a relationship that is encouraged by her socially ambitious father. Hardy's vel of betrayal, disillusionment and moral compromise depicts a secluded community coming to terms with the disastrous impact of outside influences. And in his portrayal of Giles Winterborne, Hardy shows a man who responds deeply to the forces of the natural world, thought they ultimately betray him.
- Author BiographyThomas Hardy (1840-1928) was a prolific and influential novelist and poet. His works include Jude the Obscure and Tess of the D'Urbervilles. Patricia Ingham is General Editor of all Hardy's fiction on the Penguin Classics list. She is a Fellow of St Anne's College, Oxford.
- Author(s)Thomas Hardy
- PublisherPenguin Books Ltd
- Date of Publication05/02/1998
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPenguin Classics
- Content Notemaps, notes
- Weight319 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Edited byPatricia Ingham
- Introduction byPatricia Ingham
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $72.53
- AU $89.64Trending at AU $103.78
- AU $66.82Trending at AU $74.72
- AU $20.99Trending at AU $22.68
- AU $13.21Trending at AU $15.47
- AU $30.11Trending at AU $36.16
- AU $10.20Trending at AU $14.17
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.