All listings for this product
Best-selling in Other Children & Young Adults
Save on Other Children & Young Adults
- AU $17.00Trending at AU $18.83
- AU $10.36Trending at AU $14.63
- AU $9.34Trending at AU $15.71
- AU $19.66Trending at AU $22.38
- AU $12.02Trending at AU $17.22
- AU $16.71Trending at AU $20.05
- AU $9.83Trending at AU $11.28
About this product
- DescriptionDear Readers, You may not know me, but I know you ...I am - the WORD SPY. I have been in hiding for many, many years, but the time has now come at last for me to emerge from undercover and share some of the secrets I have learned in my many, many years as - the WORD SPY. Oh - there goes another word. I must be off! Follow the WORD SPY as she uncovers the secrets of the English language. Discover the meaning of acronyms (like ATM and CD), cliches (such as 'pretty as a picture') and spoonerisms ('Would you like a belly jean?'). Find out the history of the alphabet, punctuation, pen names and plurals. Learn how to trick your friends by speaking in Pig Latin or rhyming slang ('I'm going out to ride my bike on the frog and toad . Want to come?'). Full of games, puzzles, facts and riddles, The Word Spy is an entertaining, quirky and enlightening look at the English language. Ursula makes words fun!
- Author BiographyUrsula Dubosarsky is the author of many outstanding books, both for young adults and for children, and has won numerous awards for excellence. Abyssinia was winner of the 2004 South Australian Festival Award for Literature - Young Adult. In 2006 Ursula won both the NSW and Victorian Premier's Awards for Theodora's Gift. The Red Shoe won the Queensland Premier's Award, the NSW State Literary Award -Young Adult, and was an Honour Book in the CBC Book of the Year Award: Older Readers. Tohby Riddle is the award-winning creator of picture books such as The Singing Hat, The Great Escape from City Zoo and Irving the Magician, and the cult favourite, The Royal Guest. In 2008, Tohby illustrated The Word Spy by Ursula Duborsarsky, which won the Patricia Wrightson Prize for Children's Literature in the 2009 NSW Premier's Literary Awards and was an honour book in the 2009 CBC Book of the Year awards. The Return of the Word Spy was published in May 2010.
- PrizesWinner of NSW Premier's Literary Award Patricia Wrightson Prize 2009. Shortlisted for Children's Book Council of Australia Awards: Eve Pownall Award for Information Books 2009.
- Author(s)Ursula Dubosarsky
- PublisherPenguin Books Australia
- Date of Publication20/06/2011
- SubjectChildren's General Interest & Leisure
- Place of PublicationHawthorn
- Country of PublicationAustralia
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight234 g
- Width129 mm
- Height185 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Illustrator(s)Tohby Riddle
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
Most relevant reviews
- bbf500013 May, 2014by
A fantastic book that really makes learning interesting.
This books is FANTASTIC. My 9 year old daughter read it enthusiastically and was full of interesting facts about language, grammar, punctuation etc afterwards. It made learning really interesting and easy to remember. We both recommend it!