All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Work of Difference addresses a fundamental ontological question: What is literature? And at the heart of this question, it argues, is the problem of the new. How is it that new works or new forms are possible within the rule-governed orders of history, language use, or the social? How are new works in turn recognizable to already-existing institutions? Tracing the relationship between literature and the problem of newness back to a set of concerns first articulated in early German romanticism, this book goes on to mount a critique of romantic tendencies in contemporary criticism in order, ultimately, to develop an original theory of literary production. Along the way, it offers new readings of major modernist vels by Samuel Beckett, Marcel Proust, and Gertrude Stein.
- Author BiographyAudrey Wasser is Assistant Professor of French at Miami University, Ohio.
- Author(s)Audrey Wasser
- PublisherFordham University Press
- Date of Publication01/03/2016
- SubjectLiterary Theory
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintFordham University Press
- Weight318 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $43.10
- AU $14.48Trending at AU $22.61
- AU $9.20Trending at AU $16.15
- AU $43.32Trending at AU $48.90
- AU $30.57Trending at AU $33.73
- AU $11.00Trending at AU $14.90
- AU $21.96Trending at AU $25.07
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.