All listings for this product
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $72.53
- AU $92.82Trending at AU $103.78
- AU $66.82Trending at AU $74.72
- AU $20.99Trending at AU $22.68
- AU $15.63Trending at AU $22.29
- AU $15.79Trending at AU $18.37
- AU $8.65Trending at AU $14.26
About this product
- DescriptionIn The World Afloat, a series of seventy-five miniatures that melds narrative with elements of prose poem and farce, master of the absurd and expert observer M.A.C. Farrant peers into the complexities of human experience -- through the rear window. Inside the lileum-lined kitchens and lace-trimmed living rooms that drift through these stories, Farrant interrupts the daily routines -- doctor's appointments, gardening, mealtimes -- of her eccentric yet familiar characters with intensely surreal, laugh-out-loud moments. What happens when a whimsical spirit becomes captive to a middle-aged body? At the end of a Love Your Package workshop, what does the wrap-up dinner look like? Can a soggy tomato salad really end someone's marriage? Brimming with pathos and bathos in equal measure, Farrant's smart prose offers escape and renewal from the motony of modern life, while at the same time poking fun at her readers' pathological devotion to the techlogy and interpersonal relationships that leave them feeling bored and empty. Sexuality and depravity, childhood and bad parenting, and love and divorce are all deftly handled in this hot flash of a book that goes straight to the heart of things. As each miniature reads stranger (and truer) than the one before, Farrant manages to coax her readers from their well-worn, earthbound narratives and into a world afloat on satire, absurdity, and, in her most brilliant moments, expansive joy.
- Author BiographyM.A.C. Farrant is the author of ten collections of satirical and philosophical short fiction; a novel-length memoir, My Turquoise Years; a book of humorous essays, The Secret Lives of Litterbugs; and the stage adaptation of My Turquoise Years, which premiered at Vancouver's Arts Club Theatre in 2013. A full-time writer currently residing in North Saanich, British Columbia, Farrant's work as been nominated for many awards, including the Commonwealth Writers Prize, the Ethel Wilson Fiction Prize, The Van City Book Prize, the National Magazine Awards, the Gemini Award (for the Bravo short-film adaptation of her story Rob's Guns & Ammo ), the Victoria Book Prize, and two Jessie Richardson Theatre Awards for her play My Turquoise Years, among others. She is a regular book reviewer for the Vancouver Sun, the Globe and Mail, and the National Post. Farrant has taught writing at the University of Victoria, the Victoria School of Writing, the Banff Centre for the Arts, and was Writer-in-Residence at Macquarie University in Sydney, Australia.
- Author(s)M. A. C. Farrant
- PublisherTalon Books,Canada
- Date of Publication15/04/2014
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationVancouver
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintTalon Books,Canada
- Weight142 g
- Width127 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine8 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.