All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMany artists seek to attain immortality through their art, but few would expect their work to outlast the human race and live on for billions of years. As Canadian poet Christian Bok has realized, it all comes down to the durability of your materials. The Guardian Internationally best-selling poet Christian Bok has spent more than ten years writing what promises to be the first example of living poetry. After successfully demonstrating his concept in a colony of E. coli, Bok is on the verge of enciphering a beautiful, amalous poem into the geme of an unkillable bacterium ( Deicoccus radiodurans ), which can, in turn, read his text, responding to it by manufacturing a viable, benign protein, whose sequence of ami acids enciphers yet ather poem. The engineered organism might conceivably serve as a post-apocalyptic archive, capable of outlasting our civilization.Book I of The Xetext constitutes a kind of demonic grimoire, providing a scientific framework for the project with a series of poems, texts, and illustrations. A Virgilian welcome to the Infer, Book I is the orphic volume in a diptych, addressing the pastoral heritage of poets, who have sought to supplant nature in both beauty and terror. The book sets the conceptual groundwork for the second volume, which will document the experiment itself. The Xetext is experimental poetry in the truest sense of the term.Christian Bok is the author of Crystallography (1994) and Euia (2001), which won the Griffin Poetry Prize. He teaches at the University of Calgary in Alberta, Canada.
- Author BiographyChristian Bok is the author not only of Crystallography (1994), a pataphysical encyclopedia nominated for the Gerald Lampert Memorial Award, but also of Eunoia (2001), a bestselling work of experimental literature, which has gone on to win the Griffin Prize for Poetic Excellence. Bok teaches English at the University of Calgary.
- Author(s)Christian BOK,Christian Beok
- PublisherCoach House Books
- Date of Publication29/10/2015
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Place of PublicationToronto
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintCoach House Books
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight227 g
- Width124 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $34.30Trending at AU $35.14
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.20
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $14.01
- AU $21.17Trending at AU $25.58
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.86
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $100.05
- AU $30.28Trending at AU $35.05
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.