All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn Yarn Whisperer: My Unexpected Life in Knitting, Clara Parkes shares 22 captivating, poignant, and laugh-out-loud funny stories about the role yarn and knitting play in her life. In the process, she hits upon the universal truths that drive knitters as well as the ways in which knitting can be looked at as a metaphor for so many other things. Within the foreword, she explains: In Victorian times, people often spoke through flowers. They called it floriography. A simple acacia signified secret love, an oxeye daisy called for patience, and the pear blossom spoke of lasting friendship. But, as in Agatha Christie's Miss Marple mysteries, some were harbingers of danger, dishonesty, even death. Women 'corresponded' through flowers, able to communicate far deeper meaning through them than they could put into words. What if it turns out we do the same thing with our own knitting, creating swatches and garments that, when deciphered, tell stories of their own? Stockinette, ribbing, cables, even the humble yarn over can instantly evoke places, times, people, conversations, all those poignant moments that we've tucked away in our memory banks. Over time, those stitches form a map of our lives. And with that introduction, Parkes goes on to regale us with stories of her childhood and adulthood--of family, friends, adventure, exploration, privacy, disappointment, love and celebration--all tied together with a strand of yarn, of course.
- Author BiographyClara Parkes, a celebrated raconteur, is the bestselling author of The Knitter's Book of Yarn, The Knitter's Book of Wool, and The Knitter's Book of Socks (with over 88,000 copies in print combined). She is also the founder and publisher of KnittersReview.com, a weekly e-newsletter that explores the pleasures and subtleties of yarn--described by Folio Magazine as what Cook's Illustrated is to foodies.
- Author(s)Clara Parkes
- PublisherStewart, Tabori & Chang Inc
- Date of Publication01/09/2013
- SubjectAutobiography: General
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2013
- ImprintStewart, Tabori & Chang Inc
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight386 g
- Width140 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Format DetailsWith translucent dust cover
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.40Trending at AU $49.05
- AU $74.43Trending at AU $75.94
- AU $22.11Trending at AU $22.83
- AU $35.53Trending at AU $38.73
- AU $26.74Trending at AU $37.24
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.87
- AU $37.61Trending at AU $38.49
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.