All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAmong the most important texts of Zen literature, the Lin-Chi lu details the insights and exploits of the great ninth century Chinese Zen master Lin-chi, one of the most highly regarded of the T'ang period masters. PEN Translation Prize-winner Burton Watson presents here an eloquent translation -- the first in the English language -- of this seminal classic, The Zen Teachings of Master Lin-chi. The work is an exacting depiction of Lin-chi's words and actions, describing the Zen master's life and teaching, and includes a number of his sermons. Because Lin-chi's school outlasted other forms of early Chinese Zen to become dominant throughout China to this day, this translation bears unique significance within the literature of this great Asian nation. With Watson's lucid introduction to the work, a glossary of terms, and tes to the text, The Zen Teachings of Master Lin-chi is a generously constructed and accessible model of translation that will stand as the definitive primary material on Lin-chi for many years to come.
- Author BiographyBurton Watson, the recipient of the 1981 PEN Translation Prize, has taught Chinese and Japanese literature at Columbia, Stanford, and Kyoto universities. He has translated dozens of Chinese and Japanese classics, including The Lotus Sutra, Records of the Grand Historian, and Chuang Tzu.
- PublisherColumbia University Press
- Date of Publication06/01/1999
- SubjectNon-Christian Religions
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintColumbia University Press
- Weight272 g
- Width220 mm
- Height149 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Translated byBurton Watson
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.88Trending at AU $23.68
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $73.52
- AU $32.89Trending at AU $36.89
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.32
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.67
- AU $44.12Trending at AU $51.80
- AU $41.91Trending at AU $52.43
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.