All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book is the first critical anthology to examine the controversial history of the zoo by focusing on its close relationship with screen media histories and techlogies. Individual chapters address the representation of zoological spaces in classical and contemporary Hollywood cinema, documentary and animation, amateur and avant-garde film, popular television and online media. The Zoo and Screen Media: Images of Exhibition and Encounter provides a new map of twentieth-century human-animal relations by exploring how the zoo, that modern apparatus for presenting living animals to human audiences, has itself been represented across a diverse range of moving image media.
- Author BiographyMichael Lawrence is Lecturer in Film Studies at the University of Sussex, UK. He is the author of Sabu and the co-editor, with Laura McMahon, of Animal Life and the Moving Image. Karen Lury is Professor of Film and Television Studies at the University of Glasgow, UK and the author of The Child in Film: Tears, Fears and Fairytales. She is an editor of the international film and television studies journal, Screen.
- PublisherPalgrave Macmillan
- Date of Publication24/09/2016
- SubjectCommunication & Media
- Series TitleScreening Spaces
- Place of PublicationBasingstoke
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPalgrave Macmillan
- Content Note17 black & white illustrations, 19 colour illustrations, biography
- Weight534 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edited byKaren Lury,Michael Lawrence
Save on Textbooks
- AU $26.38Trending at AU $38.34
- AU $53.34Trending at AU $59.37
- AU $28.52Trending at AU $29.71
- AU $30.26Trending at AU $32.66
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.82
- AU $30.98Trending at AU $40.27
- AU $11.31Trending at AU $14.92
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.