All listings for this product
About this product
- Description'Thea's are the only clothes I never throw away.' Joan Collins Thea Porter (1927 - 2000) came to epitomize bohemian chic in 1970s London, developing a unique aesthetic that drew on an eclectic mix of luxurious fabrics, signature dresses and Soho laissez-faire. Born in Jerusalem, she began working as an interior designer before setting up shop on London's Greek Street. Over the course of several years, she established her combination of fashion and interior design, cultivating clients such as Pink Floyd and The Beatles, alongside Faye Dunaway, Elizabeth Taylor and Barbara Streisand - as well as working for royal patrons including Princess Margaret and the empress of Iran, Farah Diba. Porter was promoted in New York by Vogue editor-in-chief Diana Vreeland and her clothes were sold in Giorgio Beverly Hills, while at the same time she was a frequent visitor to the Colony Room, London, the drinking club habituated by Lucien Freud, Francis Bacon and George Melly. Published to accompany the exhibition, Thea Porter: Bohemian Chic at the Fashion & Textile Museum, London, from 6 February to 3 May 2015.
- Author BiographyLaura McLaws Helms is a fashion historian, based in New York. She is curator of Thea Porter at the Fashion & Textile Museum, London. Venetia Porter is Assistant Keeper of Islamic and Contemporary Middle East Art at the British Museum. She is Thea Porter's daughter.
- Author(s)Laura McLaws Helms,Venetia Porter
- PublisherV & A Publishing
- Date of Publication02/02/2015
- SubjectDesign & Commercial Art
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintV & A Publishing
- Content Note200 colour illustrations
- Weight939 g
- Width216 mm
- Height270 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $70.96
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.73
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $97.29
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.09
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $36.97
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.76
- AU $71.09Trending at AU $85.59
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.