All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionNineteenth-century America witnessed a full-blown campaign against alcohol and, for most of the century, temperance reform was a national cause. As an integral part of the various temperance movements, a new form of theatrical literature and performance developed, both professional and amateur, to help spread the message. John Frick examines the role of temperance drama in the overall scheme of American nineteenth-century theatre, taking examples from both mainstream productions and amateur theatricals. Frick also compares the American genre to its British counterpart.
- Author BiographyJohn W. Frick is Associate Professor of Drama at the University of Virginia. He is author of New York's First Theatrical Center: The Rialto at Union Square, co-editor of The Directory of Historic American Theatres and Theatrical Directors: A Biographical Dictionary and is a contributing author to The Cambridge History of American Theatre (1999). He has published numerous articles and reviews in, among others, The Drama Review, Theatre Journal, The Journal of American Drama and Theatre and The New England Theatre Journal. He has worked Off-Off Broadway as a dramaturg and as a stage manager with theatre and dance companies in New York.
- Author(s)John W. Frick
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication14/08/2008
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleCambridge Studies in American Theatre and Drama
- Series Part/Volume NumberNo. 17
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note19 b/w illus.
- Weight400 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine16 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.90Trending at AU $23.01
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $75.38
- AU $31.43Trending at AU $36.70
- AU $30.95Trending at AU $34.07
- AU $26.99Trending at AU $29.48
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.07
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.48
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.