All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionHow do we make sense of death - in theology, in philosophy, in experience? How do religions other than Christianity deal with death and with dying? In the w predominantly secular societies of the West, what are we to make of the theologies of death developed by writers such as Becker, Hick, Thielicke and Macquarrie? Ray Anderson tackles his subject with clarity and without sentimentality. He discusses first the treatment - and indeed, the denial - of death by contemporary Western society, and its place in other religious traditions. Going on the discuss the origins of a Christian theology of death, he examines the legacy of Judaism and seeks to lay the foundations for a Christian anthropology in the unity of body and soul. Death, he argues, is alien to God's determination of our personhood. Outlining a classic Christian understanding of death and resurrection of Jesus Christ, he explores the implications of the Passion for our own mortality. Even if the sting of death has been removed, the experiences of dying and bereavement remain. Ray Anderson considers pastoral approaches to dying in the light of his observations and arguments and makes his case for re-integration of the experience of dying into our communities.
- Author BiographyRay S. Anderson is Professor of Theology and Ministry at Fuller Theological Seminary, California. He is author of Historical Transcendence and the Reality of God and On Being Human.
- Author(s)Ray S. Anderson
- PublisherJohn Wiley and Sons Ltd
- Date of Publication29/05/1986
- SubjectReligion: Comparative, General & Reference
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBlackwell Publishers
- Content Note0
- Weight254 g
- Width142 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine12 mm
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.88Trending at AU $23.68
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $73.52
- AU $32.88Trending at AU $36.89
- AU $37.66Trending at AU $38.33
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.32
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.67
- AU $20.38Trending at AU $26.66
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.