All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book presents a method for bringing data analysis and statistical technique into line with theory. The author begins by describing the elaboration model for analyzing the empirical association between variables. She then introduces a new concept into this model, the focal relationship. Building upon the focal relationship as the cornerstone for all subsequent analysis, two analytic strategies are developed to establish its internal validity: an exclusionary strategy to eliminate alternative explanations, and an inclusive strategy which looks at the interconnected set of relationships predicted by theory. Using real examples of social research, the author demonstrates the use of this approach for two common forms of analysis, multiple linear regression and logistic regression. Whether learning data analysis for the first time or adding new techniques to your repertoire, this book provides an excellent basis for theory-based data analysis.
- Author BiographyCarol S. Aneshensel is a sociologist (Ph.D., Cornell University) and Professor at the University of California, Los Angeles. She specializes in the fields of the sociology of mental health and medical sociology, with an emphasis on the social origins of stress and its impact on depression. She has been Principal Investigator for numerous studies funded by the National Institute on Aging and the National Institute of Mental Health. She has published more than 75 peer-review journal articles and several books, including her work as lead editor of the Handbook of the Sociology of Mental Health, Second Edition (Springer, 2012). She has received awards for distinguished contributions from the Sociology of Mental Health and Medical Sociology sections of the American Sociological Association (ASA). Theory-Based Data Analysis for the Social Sciences received Honorable Mention for Best Publication in 2003 from the Sociology of Mental Health section, ASA.
- Author(s)Carol S. Aneshensel
- PublisherSAGE Publications Inc
- Date of Publication05/02/2013
- SubjectSocial Sciences: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleUndergraduate Research Methods & Statistics in the Social Sciences
- Place of PublicationThousand Oaks
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSAGE Publications Inc
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight839 g
- Width187 mm
- Height232 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.54
- AU $25.79Trending at AU $26.18
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.78
- AU $33.32Trending at AU $36.33
- AU $19.99Trending at AU $22.99
- AU $36.16Trending at AU $49.55
- AU $18.16Trending at AU $21.18
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.