All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.95Trending at AU $73.98
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.37
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.79
- AU $92.88Trending at AU $103.13
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.04
- AU $41.64Trending at AU $44.80
- AU $46.34Trending at AU $48.02
About this product
- DescriptionRobert Browning interests musicians because he was a major poet as well as a competent musician. Music was a central theme in his poetry and formed the basis for many of his images and ideas. This unusual element compels musicological criticism as well as literary. The subject of Nachum Schoffman's book is the nature of Browning's musicality and the role and influence of music in his poetry. Schoffman carries the musicological analysis of Browning's poetry to its logical conclusions, revealing more than other literary critics have of the poet's musicality. On the basis of his analysis, he advances two new ideas. First, he identifies the piece described in the poem A Toccata of Galuppi's as the Sonata in F Major. Second, he offers a new interpretation of the relationship between words and music in Browning's music poems. Schoffman's unique musicological perspective enriches our understanding of one of the great nineteenth century poets. His book is required reading for scholars and students of Browning and those involved in interdisciplinary approaches to literature.
- Author BiographyNACHUM SCHOFFMAN is a Senior Lecturer at Ben-Gurion University in Israel. He is the author of From Chords to Simultaneities: Chordal Indeterminancy and the Failure of Serialism (Greenwood Press, 1990), and has contributed to Contrechamps, Current Musicology, and The Journal of Musicological Research, among others.
- Author(s)Nachum Schoffman
- Date of Publication30/12/1991
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleContributions to the Study of World Literature
- Series Part/Volume NumberNo 40
- Place of PublicationWestport
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintGreenwood Press
- Content Note1, black & white illustrations
- Weight436 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.