All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $3.76Trending at AU $7.37
- AU $27.82Trending at AU $30.75
- AU $21.76Trending at AU $26.80
- AU $29.32Trending at AU $31.85
- AU $71.16Trending at AU $79.91
- AU $13.99Trending at AU $15.68
- AU $26.39Trending at AU $26.97
About this product
- DescriptionMartin and Osa Johnson thrilled American audiences of the 1920s and 30s with their remarkable movies of far-away places, exotic peoples, and the dramatic spectacle of African wildlife. Their own lives were as exciting as the movies they made--sailing through the South Sea Islands, dodging big game at African waterholes, flying small planes over the veldt, taking millionaires on safari.Osa Johnson s ghostwritten autobiography, I Married Adventure, became a national bestseller. The 1939 film version was billed as the story of World Exploration s First Lady, whose indomitable daring would be stayed by neither snarling lion r crouching leopard, tropic tempest r savage tribesman! Heroes to millions, Osa and Martin seemed to embody glamor, daring, and the all-American ideal of self-reliance.Probing beneath the glamor of the Johnsons public image, Pascal and Elear Imperato explore the more human side of the couple s lives--and ways the Johnsons shaped, for better and for worse, America s vision of Africa. Drawing on many years of research, access to a wealth of letters and archives, interviews with many who worked closely with the Johnsons, and their own deep kwledge of Africa, the authors present a fascinating and intimate portrait of this intrepid couple.
- Author BiographyPascal James Imperato credits his own interest in Africa to reading the Johnsons' books while he was still a teenager. He edited Osa Johnson's Last Adventure (1966). His fourteen popular and scholarly books include Bwana Doctor, A Wind in Africa, Medical Detective, and African Folk Medicine. Eleanor M. Imperato is a historian with a special interest in Americans' sources of knowledge about Africa; she is co-author of the standard history of Mali.
- Author(s)Eleanor M. Imperato,Pascal James Amperato,Pascal James Imperato
- PublisherRutgers University Press
- Date of Publication19/12/1992
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Place of PublicationNew Brunswick, NJ
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRutgers University Press
- Content Note1, black & white illustrations
- Weight552 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine21 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.