Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.82
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.80
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $74.86
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $36.95
- AU $44.96Trending at AU $47.10
- AU $24.97Trending at AU $28.23
- AU $9.83Trending at AU $13.31
About this product
- DescriptionWhat turns an ordinary man into an extraordinary one? The answer lies in the stories of six teenage volunteers for Second World War aircrew who exchanged school uniform for Air Force Blue and took a giant step into the unkwn. Based on original research from flying log books, diaries and family archives, this collection of true tales describes the men's training for those coveted 'Wings'; the nervous excitement of that first sortie over enemy territory; and flying into the hell of an enemy flak barrage and fighters. From the skies over Europe to jungles and deserts, all endured hardship, adventure and danger. They experienced action under enemy fire, wounds, burns and crash-landings, escape and evasion in occupied territory, and the privations of life as a POW. Seventy years on and these brushes with death are by any measure hair-raising encounters that turned adolescents into men - some of whom survived the war, while others paid the ultimate price.
- Author BiographyAlastair Goodrum has held a passion for aviation ever since being taken as a small boy to the 1954 Farnborough Air Show. He spent his career in telecommunications then ran his own company. He held a commission in the RAFVR(T) from 1968 to 1975, is an occasional radio broadcaster, and presents illustrated talks on his pet subject. He has previously written Balloons, Bleriots & Barnstormers: 200 years of Flying For Fun; Dying To Fly: The Human Cost Of Military Flying for The History Press and two earlier books on aviation history. He lives in Spalding, Lincolnshire.
- Author(s)Alastair Goodrum
- PublisherThe History Press Ltd
- Date of Publication01/01/2013
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationStroud
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintThe History Press Ltd
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight476 g
- Width165 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine15 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.