All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionTraditional Japanese design imbues objects with a sense of history and artistry that easily reaches across cultural boundaries. In <i>Things Japanese: Everyday Objects of Extraordinary Beauty and Significance</i>, author Nicholas Borff and photographer Michael Freeman examine over 60 traditional objects that are uniquely Japanese, deftly illustrating their beauty and significance. <ul><li>Beautifully crafted samurai swords</li><li>Elegant wooden <i>tansu</i> chests</li><li>Elaborate tea ceremony implements</li><li>Exquisitely carved <i>netsuke</i> toggles</li><li>Fabulous silk-and-gold embroidered kimos</li></ul>Each item is described in loving detail alongside lovely full-color photographs that highlight the great artistry and craftsmanship in everyday items used by real people in traditional Japan. <i>Things Japanese</i> is the perfect book for Japanese antique collectors or anyone interested in Japanese art and the culture and history of Japan.
- Author Biography<b>Nicholas Bornoff</b> was a film critic for the Japan Times for a decade, and contributed articles about contemporary Japanese culture and society to various English-language magazines. <b>Michael Freeman</b> has photographed extensively in Asia, both for magazines and for numerous books, including <i>Japan Modern</i> and <i>China Home</i>.
- Author(s)Nicholas Bornoff
- PublisherPeriplus Editions (Hong Kong) Ltd
- Date of Publication16/05/2014
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Place of PublicationHong Kong
- Country of PublicationHong Kong
- ImprintPeriplus Editions (Hong Kong) Ltd
- Content Noteover 200 full-colour photos and illus
- Weight567 g
- Width229 mm
- Height241 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $7.99Trending at AU $8.23
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.78
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.22
- AU $66.30Trending at AU $74.69
- AU $31.51Trending at AU $36.87
- AU $25.48Trending at AU $28.23
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.