All listings for this product
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $70.84
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.70
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.14
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $87.71
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.72
- AU $34.66Trending at AU $35.87
- AU $28.96Trending at AU $38.89
About this product
- DescriptionThe 'postmodern condition,' in which instrumentalism usurps all other considerations, has produced a kind of intellectual paralysis in the world of education. It is difficult to take issue with such shibboleths of our time as 'standards', 'effectiveness' or 'quality', or the transmission of a nation's 'heritage', yet many people sense that important values are being lost as the education systems of the developed world increasingly devote themselves to managerialism and 'performativity', the quest for efficiency and effectiveness that can be quantified. This book shows how a sustained and telling critique of current educational policy and practice can be developed from the writings of such postmodern thinkers as Lyotard, Derrida, Foucault, and Lacan. These thinkers show us new directions, making what has become over-familiar in education seem strange, and they shake us out of established ways of thinking and writing. The book reveals how very different certain aspects of education-for instance, literacy, moral education (in the home as well as the school), curriculum policy and planning-look in the light of these ideas. The book makes many of the central ideas of postmodern theory accessible by demonstrating their relevance to familiar aspects of the practice of education.
- Author BiographyNIGEL BLAKE is Lecturer in Educational Technology at The Open University, England. PAUL SMEYERS is Professor, Department of Educational Sciences, at the University of Leuven, Belgium. RICHARD SMITH is Senior Lecturer, School of Education, at the University of Durham, England, and is editor of the Journal of Philosophy of Education. PAUL STANDISH is Lecturer in Education at the University of Dundee, Scotland.
- Author(s)Nigel P. Blake,Paul Smeyers,Paul Standish,Richard Smith,etc.
- Date of Publication30/04/1998
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Series TitleCritical Studies in Education & Culture
- Place of PublicationWestport
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintGreenwood Press
- Content Noteindices
- Weight458 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine21 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.