All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.40
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.83
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $96.53
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.28
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.18
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.95
- AU $69.55Trending at AU $86.07
About this product
- DescriptionIn this invative book Jerusha McCormack and John G. Blair introduce China on its own terms. By explaining ten key concepts that frame the way most Chinese people think about the world, they compare these terms - which don't translate readily into English - with the ways most of us, as Westerners, think. The book then poses four questions that Westerners routinely ask about China. But rather than answer with Western assumptions, the authors respond using these ten Chinese key words. Not surprisingly, the answers differ in startling ways from standard Western responses. This intensive bridging work allows those without deep kwledge of China to understand the very different perspectives to be gained by looking at the world through Chinese eyes. As each of the ten words maps out new territory, the premises of a very dissimilar - but equally coherent - world view gradually emerge. Creating a cultural cartography through both text and image, the authors provide readers with a vivid sense of what is uniquely Chinese about China.
- Author BiographyJerusha McCormack is professor emeritus of English and American literature at University College, Dublin. John G. Blair is professor emeritus of American literature and civilization at the University of Geneva. For more than a decade, they have been teaching as Foreign Experts in the School of English and International Studies at Beijing Foreign Studies University.
- Author(s)Jerusha Hull McCormack,John G. Blair
- PublisherRowman & Littlefield
- Date of Publication30/07/2015
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Place of PublicationLanham, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRowman & Littlefield Publishers
- Content Note15 black & white illustrations, 27 black & white halftones, 1 maps
- Weight553 g
- Width155 mm
- Height231 mm
- Spine22 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.