All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $5.99Trending at AU $8.24
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.83
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.29
- AU $68.04Trending at AU $74.89
- AU $31.51Trending at AU $36.97
- AU $44.51Trending at AU $47.12
About this product
- DescriptionBy analyzing Ethiopia's rule over Eritrea and Indonesia's rule over East Timor, Third World Colonialism and Strategies of Liberation compares the colonialism of powerful third world countries on their small, less powerful neighbors. Through a comparative study of Eritrean and East Timorese grand strategies of liberation, this book documents the inner workings of the nationalist movements and traces the sources of government types in these countries. In doing so, Awet Tewelde Weldemichael challenges existing tions of grand strategy as a unique prerogative of the West and opposes established understanding of colonialism as an exclusively Western project on the n-Western world. In addition to showing how Eritrea and East Timor developed sophisticated military and n-military strategies, Weldemichael emphasizes that the insurgents avoided terrorist methods when their colonizers indiscriminately bombed their countries, tortured and executed civilians, held them hostage, starved them deliberately, and continuously threatened them with harsher measures.
- Author BiographyAwet Tewelde Weldemichael is an Assistant Professor in the Department of History at the University of Kentucky. He is also Fernand Braudel Fellow at the French Humanities Foundation, University of Paris Diderot. He has worked as a political affairs officer for the United Nations peacekeeping mission in East Timor and as a long-term election observer with the Carter Center mission in Sudan.
- Author(s)Awet Tewelde Weldemichael
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication19/11/2012
- SubjectHistory: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note2 maps
- Weight630 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine27 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.