Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $34.26Trending at AU $43.71
- AU $65.99Trending at AU $74.18
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $113.10
- AU $79.99Trending at AU $83.35
- AU $16.95Trending at AU $29.47
- AU $13.31Trending at AU $15.81
- AU $17.71Trending at AU $19.63
About this product
- DescriptionSherlock Holmes once claimed that the lowest and vilest alleys of London do t present a more dreadful record of sin than does the smiling and beautiful countryside. And Oliver Swithin, reluctant guest in an English village, is about to find out that it's true. Coaxed out of his clothes and into a midnight streak by his girlfriend, Oliver's amorous intentions are thwarted by the discovery of a dead body dangling from the village's ancient gibbet. When it appears that the famous victim was driven to suicide by blackmail, Oliver resolves to find the blackmailer. And to do so, he needs to discover the dead man's secret. But in the twenty-first century, when sins that would once have been ripe for shaming are w a cause for hiring a publicist, what foul deeds of the past will people still pay to keep hidden? Is the carefully cut out page from a Shakespeare play, with its reference to a private plot, really a clue? Why did somebody fill in the victim's grave before his funeral? And what does any of this have to do with the memoir writers of the Vicar's reading group, the five unmarried Bennett sisters, the mysterious monk kwn only as The Vampire of Synne, the case of the two Shakespeares, and the married couple who are never seen in the same room at the same time? Will there be yet ather appearance by Underwood Tooth, the world's leading expert on being igred? Oliver discovers that the death was suicide. But that's thing compared with the next revelation, which turns the entire investigation upside down and puts Oliver's own life in peril.
- Author BiographyAlan Beechey was born in England and grew up in London. He moved to Manhattan in his twenties and now lives with his three sons in Rye, New York, a city named after the English seaside town where his grandmother was born. This Private Plot is the third title featuring children's book author and amateur sleuth Oliver Swithin and his girlfriend, Scotland Yard detective Effie Strongitharm. They first met in An Embarrassment of Corpses, which The Bookshop Blog included in its list of the Best 100 Mysteries of All Time, and reappeared in Murdering Ministers. Alan is also the co-author of a non-fiction book on American culture and values.
- Author(s)Alan Beechey
- PublisherPoisoned Pen Press
- Date of Publication06/05/2014
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectCrime, Thriller & Adventure
- Series TitleOliver Swithin Mysteries
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPoisoned Pen Press
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
- Edition Statementlarge type edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.